Today I read Kandinsky's Concerning The Spiritual In Art and was taken by his gorgeous descriptions of colors.
Here are some awesome color descriptions from the book (pgs 41-43):
- Vermillion: Like glowing steel that can be cooled by water
- Blue: The power of profound meaning
- Gray: Silent and motionless
- Brown: Unemotional, disinclined for movement
- Violet: Sad and ailing
- Yellow: An aggressive character
- Deep Dark Blue: Echoes a grief that is hardly human
- Green: Immoveable and narrow
- White: Silence that is pregnant with possibilities
Kandinsky's art is known for creating a synesthetic experiences for the viewer. There's even a kids book about how he heard the colors when he painted.
In the book, Concerning the Spiritual In Art, he describes experiencing color on the palette (pg 25) as producing a physical impression and psychic effect.
Physical Impression: They are merely superficial and leave no lasting impression, for the soul is unaffected. But although the effect of the colours is forgotten when the eye is turned away, the superficial impression of varied colour may be the starting point of a whole chain of related sensations.
Psychic Effect: But to a more sensitive soul the effect of colours is deeper and intensely moving. And so we come to the second main result of looking at colours: THEIR PSYCHIC EFFECT. They produce a corresponding spiritual vibration, and it is only as a step towards this spiritual vibration that the elementary physical impression is of importance.
Experience the power of colors with a palette of your own or do a paint mixing search on social media. There are so many pretty colors mixing videos out there.