At the Hill house we like to make ourselves a yummy snack and read art together using the 3 steps to reading art mentioned here.
I selected this painting by Chelsey (SoHyun) Park because I was curious what Andy and Spencer would think.
Below are the interpretations of Stephen (my husband), Andy and Spencer (my sons) and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- trees that are in the shape of leaves
- bush with a reflection that's in the shape of lips
- giant leaves
- round brain shaped bush
- almost no horizon line
- pond has lily pads
- plants in the foreground separating viewer from water
- flat shaped colors
- mountain in background
- sunset time of day
- lots of simplification
- I see both the sun and the moon
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- not natural colors
- trees look like leaves
- reminiscent of the artist rouseu
- the reflection seems distorted and dreamy
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- they wanted to paint a landscape
- feels neither happy or sad; makes me feel dreamy
- sunny day
- makes me happy
- colors and shapes lots of reflections of those shapes. they are disconnected making things move in and out and feel more dreamy
- the value of the floating shadow shape is flip flopped that makes it pop a lot
- cool treatment, I like it, it feels good
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.