To mix it up we choose an embroidery piece by Takashi Iwasaki to discuss using the three steps to read art mentioned here.
Below are the interpretations of Stephen (my husband), Andy and Spencer (my sons) and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- there's a lot of lines
- colors...lots of them
- overlapping colors
- weird shapes
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- seems like a stream of conscious
- character symbols
- it feels like animals and spirits
- it looks like it was turned and worked in different angles
- jester hats
- I see an upside down castle with birds holding it
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- more than what you see. when you put things together they become more
- a mirror that is reflecting the light like a rainbow
- portal into another world
- mountain and a stream
- embroidery reminds me of folk clothing featuring animals and flowers. this is a new surreal take on that idea. as if the artist is documenting an imaginary floral and fauna.
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.