Let's Read Art: CF
The piece discussed this week is a drawing by artist C.F. Below are the interpretations of Stephen (my husband), Andy and Spencer (my sons) and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- is that two pieces?
- i see a bad plane that won't fly
- it's a model plane
- the lines represent a shape
- two of the five squares are the same
- they're perfect grids
- one is just straight lines
- two are are wiggly and jazzy
- off set "Z" and "1" at the top
- layers of paper
- the piece is monochromatic
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- the back of the plane is too skinny and the front is a triangle so it doesn't make sense that it's a real plane
- airplanes fly
- navigation maps
- navigational systems
- topographical maps
- the paper has folds and the paper is a bit beat up
- the layering is interesting almost sketch like but drawn with precision
- the wiggly grids look like grids that have been glitched
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- explaining coordinates
- the top is code to hide location of the plane from others
- kind of like a multi-panel cartoon
- feels like instructions
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.