For Let's Read Art, the boys and I checked out this photo by Kenneth Josephson. Below are the interpretations of Andy and Spencer (my sons) and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- lots of sheets of paper
- at the bottom i see a table
- i see that too
- there are lots of books that are stacked
- ...and are open
- it's about 10 books stacked
- all the books are open
- paperback books
- smooth lines
- the negative space is used really well
- oh cool there's a good shadow here showing where the books are overlapping
- i see one not opened
- it looks like some big books are breaking apart
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- what is the medium? what's that? oh, it's a sketch
- ...or a black and white painting
- it reminds me of scratch pads
- i think it's a photo
- it looks like an x-ray to me
- very liquid water like
- looks like a little world to me
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- to inspire people to see things differently
- the books are like broken bones
- bone that is fractured and zoomed in
- to see what really is in the world
- we can arrange things differently to change how people see things
- when something simple is rearranged it can create new interpretations or ideas about the things around us
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.