Using the three steps to reading art mentioned here we discussed this piece by D*Face.
Below are the interpretations of Stephen (my husband), Andy and Spencer (my sons) and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- it looks like a ginormous rain drop
- the drawing looks like a face
- wait, it's a skateboarder
- whoa cool!
- that's amazing!
- it's leaving his tracks
- wheels could get slippery if the paint is on the wheels
- Oh! it's spray paint attached to the bottom of the board
- that's so smart
- smooth lines
- they have such control of it, which is amazing
- so fun!
- the lines are very particular
- this is pretty great
- I love the color choices
- cool to see how consistent their movements are
- there are lines that they always follow because the pool lends itself well to it
- I love it
- awesome design
- love to see it in color
- lines are so fluid
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- very pollock-like with the seemingly messy painting...but this is patterned and controlled
- painting at the bottom of pools has been done by artists before: Picasso and Hockney
- it's not what would be expected
- it's like a spirograph
- I'd love to see the lines move as the water moves
- very cool video definitely need to see the performance element of the piece
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- it's displaying our tracks as people
- there's a play and engineering element to this too
- couldn't have been done in a halfpipe, it had to be done in a swimming pool because the pool adds tons of new elements to the concept since skateboarding in pools is a part of skateboarding history
- it's cool that skateboarding and painting both have a history with pools
- there's a juxtaposition between graffiti and property damage with skateboarding. then doing this on purpose
- it's surprising and makes me think of skateboards differently
- it's vandalism turned art
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.