Finished Knitting and Work In Progress
A bunch of knitting happened in the studio this week. I finished a shawl that's been on the needles for a couple months and I'm nearly finished with a pair of socks.
In this blog post I wrote about a shawl I had started and my first attempt at two at a time/toe up/magic loop knit socks. This week, I finished that shawl and started my second pair of socks using that technique.
First the shawl: I love how this shawl turned out! I followed a pattern for it and used yarn I found at the Wasteshed (which is a creative reuse center in Chicago). The only issue was a struggle with the lace sections. In the first lace section I realized my stitch count was somehow off, which would account for a misalignment in the first lace section. I continued working the following easy section but my counts still didn't match what was written in the pattern. I decided to follow logic instead of the pattern word for word when working the second lace section. Unfortunately, It didn't work out as it should have because I failed to consider the stitches for the rib down the center. I really wanted to challenge myself to get the lace right so for the last section of lace I just repeated the few stitches that made up the lace pattern. (Not sure if my description makes sense) Regardless, it was still wrong. I am completely lost as to why that lace pattern didn't end up looking as it should, but honestly I don't care. I love how it turned out it's super soft and squishy. The colors are very pretty together and I will definitely wear it a bunch. So I'm a happy knitter.
Oh, and how cute is Rocket! He got a rawhide with peanut butter as payment for his modeling.
The Socks: This week the boys have been home which has thrown me a bit off schedule...I talked about it here. It's all good though because it created perfect little periods of time to get some more knitting done. My local yarn shop was having a sale a while back where I picked up some sock yarn because I'm determined to try the two at a time/ toe up/magic loop socks again. My first attempt went well with the exception of the heel. This time around I used a pattern for a different heel that I liked the look of better.
Oh man, these socks are awesome! I started them on Monday today is Friday and I only have a couple inches of stockinette and a couple inches of ribbing to do and they are finished! I'll probably finish them tonight. I'm so pleased they turned out beautifully, the only issue is some loose gauge around the heel but aside from that these are pretty right on. Check out the photos! no ladders on the sides and the toes are seamless! Ah so pleased!