Using the three steps to reading art mentioned here we discussed this photograph by Markus Reugels. Below are the interpretations of Stephen (my husband), Andy and Spencer (my sons) and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- wow factor
- looks like hard liquid
- glass like
- it's a frozen photo
- it's really surreal
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- i'd love to understand the process
- i can't really believe they aren't using tech to adjust the colors etc. but i don't think it really matters that much
- that droplet at the top adds interesting tension
- it really reminds me of glass
- the fluid water becomes very sculptural and organic
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- I'm not sure i'm seeing much concept here
- i think it was made to inspire people to look at water differently
- ...or freeze time
- i think it encourages the viewer to notice the surreal moments that are usually fleeting
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.