Damien Hirst makes such interesting pieces I was curious what the boys would think. Below are the interpretations of Andy and Spencer (my sons) and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- an alien mother ship created a beach ball in a ginormous size and they're letting it fall down onto a city
- those are knives!
- beach ball heading towards it's doom
- is that a fan?... yes blowing the ball into the air above the knives
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- The beach ball is a star destroyer looking to destroy the land of knives
- those are all things you might find at a BBQ
- ...but arranged in a new way
- whoa the color scheme is the same as the rubik's cube
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- it stresses me out
- the artist is showing that you shouldn't play with knives
- yeah, they'll ruin your beach ball and fun
- it's a lesson in tension
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.