Let's Read Art: Jeff Koons
I thought it'd be fun to discuss the art of Jeff Koons. For this week's Let's Read Art we discussed this large painting of play doh. Below are the interpretations of my son's Andy and Spencer, and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- play doh
- lots of different colors all jumbled together
- the background reflects all the colors
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- it reminds me of a gloppy face made of a bunch of colors
- the face doesn't look beautiful but that's o.k.
- I think it's cool that it's a very large oil painting
- the fact that the play doh is so much bigger than it would be in real life makes it interesting
- the playdoh probably looks like a mountain when painted so big
- it looks like it's getting sucked into a portal
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- he's giving things we recognize a new meaning
- yeah I like this painting and would hang it in my house
- I would too because it makes me ask a lot of questions about what this is
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.