For a little change of pace, we discussed a minimalist piece by Anne Truitt. Below are the interpretations of my son's Andy and Spencer, and myself.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
- orange pink blue green
- a bunch of colored bricks stacked up
- bright colors
- it's tall with long colors
- it's hovering above the ground
- you can see that it doesn't quite touch the ground
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?
- it's like a rainbow stick
- each color is very distinct with the exception of the orange and pink which are similar colors and appear to blend
- it reminds me of minecraft
- it has a totem pole structure as if each color is telling a different story
- if the bottom corner was cropped then it would be unclear whether it's folded in or out
WHY DID THE ARTIST PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?
- to really simplify their image as much as possible
- I think it's a landscape
- the green is the grass the blue the ocean and the pink and orange are the sky
- I see a minecraft piggy person. pink is the face, orange hair, blue shirt, green pants
- it's like color field paintings
- each section is like a different place
These are our interpretations, you may see something different. Oh, and I should mention that when we do this we don't read up about the piece until after we've looked at it.